News

12-year-old’s body found in a stream

A 2012 road construction project failed the community last Tuesday. This is the unfinished project that took the life of a 12-year-old last week.

EVATON.- A 2012 road construction project failed the community last Tuesday. This is the unfinished project that took the life of a 12-year-old last week.
.

This project was intended to bring a tar road and a bridge to Zone 7, but was apparently abandoned by the contractor who left a massive hole in the middle of the road. The hole had not been covered or cordoned off and there were no warning signs at the site. The child was found in the dirty water in the hole and his lifeless body was retrieved by divers.

This matter has raised concern among community members who are puzzled as to why the road has taken so long to be completed leading to the death of the child. “We still waiting for the return of Jesus Christ. Maybe ANC (African National Congress) will take its people serious then. Service delivery is a vital issue that has being neglected for years and nothing seems to emerge,” says community member Nomasonto Mqhathi. Community members believe that the negligence of the construction is the cause of the child’s death and that the ruling party, ANC, needs to take the blame.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) said that they had been petitioning the ELM to cover the hole, but no action has been taken by officials to date. Numerous calls were made to ELM acting manager for communications, marketing and branding, Stanley Gaba by Sedibeng Ster for response on the matter without success however newly inaugurated ELM mayor, Simon Mofokeng reportedly visited the bereaved family. ANC Councillor Lahliwe Rapapadi says they are aware of the incident and they are going to do investigations on the matter. Police are investigating.

Mduduzi.Mathebula@media24.com

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Sedibeng Ster in Google News and Top Stories.

Lebohang Chaha

Lebo Chaha is a journalist for Sedibeng Ster and Ster North. She is mostly passionate about stories that bring positive change in her community. Email: lebo@mooivaal.co.za

Related Articles

Back to top button