The 38-year-old former player appeared in the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate Court on Tuesday where he was released on bail.
A senior police official who is not authorised to speak to the media told Phakaaathi that the player, who can’t be named as he is yet to plead, was arrested over two weeks ago.
“He has been in the holding cells for about two weeks now. He was arrested by the Plessislaer detectives after a case of sexual assault was opened against him. He appeared in court today but I am not sure of what happened as yet. But I can confirm to you that he was arrested on allegations of sexual assault,” said the official.
Phakaaathi has however established that the former player was released on R1 000 bail with strict conditions to not go anywhere near the victim.
A friend of the former player also confirmed that he was out on bail.
“Yeah, he was arrested. He has always had problems but we never expected this from him. I cannot say he did or he didn’t do it. It is shocking because he was trying to rebuild his life,” said the friend.
The former player is said to have previously played some of the top teams in the Absa Premiership and Bafana Bafana and also had a few stints overseas. He retired from active football a few years ago and was reportedly struggling to make ends meet.
It was not clear on Tuesday as to when he would back in court where he is expected to plead.