Scholar transport to restart province-wide as MEC Chiloane announces payment resolutions
Gauteng Department of Education MEC Matome Chiloane confirmed that outstanding payments had been addressed, paving the way for scholar transport operations to restart from February 16.
On February 10, the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) provided an update on a meeting between it and scholar transport service provider representatives on efforts to stabilise the Scholar Transport Programme and restore uninterrupted access to education for learners across the province.
GDE MEC Matome Chiloane met with associations representing about 250 contracted scholar transport service providers – operating about 3 600 buses and transporting about 238 000 learners daily – following the suspension of services by some operators, with the aim of urgently resolving the impasse.
The department said that after frank discussions, all parties acknowledged that this continued disruption was untenable and not in the best interest of learners.
The engagement resulted in a shared commitment to normalise services while outstanding matters were addressed through the appropriate processes.
“The service providers outlined a number of concerns previously raised. Some fell outside the mandate of the education sector and were clarified as matters that must be addressed with the relevant departments,” said the GDE.
The GDE resolved all matters falling within its mandate and confirmed that outstanding invoices for November 2025 would be paid by the end of the current week.
There was also an agreement on processes regarding learner verification and confirmation of transported learners, including clarity on verification forms signed at schools and the GDE’s transition to a digitised system.
The GDE said the scholar transport operators had committed to consult with their members on a phased resumption of services, considering the logistical challenges associated with the earlier suspension, including the temporary removal of vehicles for safety and asset protection reasons.
The GDE said full scholar transport operations across the province would resume from Monday (February 16).
While engagements continue, the GDE remains concerned about the impact of service disruptions on learners, including academic setbacks and exposure to unsafe transport alternatives.
It has instructed schools to implement catch-up programmes effective from Monday (February 16) to mitigate learning time lost due to disruptions and advised schools to use appropriate academic recovery measures to ensure they remain on track.
“We acknowledge the frustration for earners, parents and communities. The disruption of scholar transport services is not a situation we take lightly.
“We are encouraged by the progress made and remain confident that the resolutions reached will lead to the full normalisation of scholar transport services across Gauteng, ensuring that learner safety, dignity and access to education remain protected at all times,” said Chiloane.
Chiloane thanked the service providers for the positive outlook and willingness to work with the department in the best interests of learners.
He called on all stakeholders in the scholar transport sector to maintain open and continue engagement with the GDE should concerns arise, so that these can be addressed through the appropriate channels without disrupting learners’ access to education.



