After being selected as the preferred candidate to take over from Pearl Thusi, who resigned from the show earlier this month, Soccer Zone presenter Minnie Dlamini said no to a job from the SABC after the state broadcaster approached her to be Thusi’s replacement.
Dlamini’s manager Jarred Doyle confirmed to Sunday World that her client was approached by the show’s producers to be its presenter. “She was the first to be approached. Unfortunately she could not accept the job as she is currently over-committed and busy with her foundation and Soccer Zone. All the projects need her attention, and she also has a few more projects lined up, which we will announce soon,” Doyle said, adding: “Minnie just does not have time in her schedule to do Live AMP.”
He says though there is no animosity between the producers and Dlamini, as she was approached when “she was busy preparing for the Saftas”.
Television and radio presenter Bonang Matheba was as a result roped in to do the show two weeks ago as a guest presenter while the producers searched for Thusi’s replacement. However SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago has confirmed with the Sunday paper that Dlamini was the first one to be approached by the producers but denied that she snubbed the SABC.