Investigation into Mbombela extended
Msikinya Attorneys & Associates have been granted an additional two weeks to investigate allegations of fraud, corruption, financial malpractice and governance in the municipality.
NELSPRUIT – The Department of Co-Operative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) announced on Friday that they had extended their investigation into Mbombela Local Municipality.
According to Mr Simphiwe Kunene, spokesman for the department, they had granted Msikinya Attorneys & Associates an additional two weeks to investigate allegations of fraud, corruption, financial malpractice and governance. They were originally given 21 days by Mr Simon Skosana, MEC of Cogta, to complete the inquiry. Kunene said the law firm had submitted a preliminary report, but requested more time to finalise their findings.
At the same time, Mr Jo Koster, the opposition caucus leader in the municipality, raised questions about what he had perceived as a lack of investigation. According to him, only the speaker, chief whip and mayor had been questioned for the purposes of the inquiry. He was also very concerned about the council's present ability to function.
He said councillors failed to form a quorum at a local economic development (LED) oversight committee meeting on Thursday morning. He said only four DA and two ANC members attended the LED meeting, while a minimum of eight were required to be present.
According to Koster, this was the latest in a series of oversight committee meetings that he was aware of when insufficient councillors showed up to form a quorum. These included the meeting on public accounts and finance. In addition, the general managers and members of the mayoral committee failed to show up to the technical and environmental affairs committees despite the members forming a quorum.
“Council is at a standstill,” he said. “We are not functioning any longer.”
