News

Flooded death bridge nearly claims second life

The incident happened at around 12:30.

Concerned and shocked residents watched a man ignore municipal barrier tape, and brazenly walk over a flooded low-water bridge earlier this afternoon (Thursday).

The incident happened at around 12:30.

An eyewitness told the Middelburg Observer that he and other motorists saw the man roll up his pants and walk across the barricades erected at Kees Taljaard Stadium in Asalia Street.

“I hooted for him, and some residents screamed and told him not to cross the bridge. By the time he was reaching the other side of the bridge, he was trying to hold on to poles because of the strong current.”

The low-water bridge is in a lowlying area and is prone to flooding. Due to the overflowing river, the municipality has barricaded the bridge.

Koppie Street’s low-lying bridge, where the victim was swept away by strong currents. Picture taken four weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, during heavy rains, the body of a man, who was washed away and drowned, was retrieved from the Klein Olifants River by SAPS divers near the municipal infrastructure building.

Also read: (VIDEO) UPDATE: Search for body at Klein Olifant’s River ends, victim found

According to information, the man attempted to cross the same bridge while it was flooded.

• Residents and motorists have been urged to avoid low-water bridges and flooded areas.

 

 

Do you have information on a news story you think we should cover?

Please send an email to our News Editor at daleen@mobserver.co.za or phone us on 072 248 3855.

To keep updated and informed on all the latest Middelburg news, visit our official social media pages:

FacebookInstagram, TikTokX (Formerly Twitter), and YouTube.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Middelburg Observer in Google News and Top Stories.

Tiisetso Malunga

I have been working as a journalist/photographer since 2018 at the Middelburg Observer. Before joining Caxton I was a Journalism Student at the Tshwane University of Technology. I was also a broadcasting intern at the SABC in Pretoria. In my first year as a journalist I was awarded the Upcoming Journalist of the Year at the O H Frewin awards. My motto in life is ‘I am human before anything’ with that being said I am driven by human stories and I am a strong believer in justices and human rights.
Check Also
Close
Back to top button