The Pullenshope community has demanded an intervention from Mayor Mhlonishwa Masilela over sky high water rates, as well as billing problems in regard to their water use accounts, and while their concerns are yet to be addressed, the entire Middelburg community will face further service rate increases implemented from July 1.
Tariff increases are implemented annually from July 1, every year, but residents said they are not getting what they pay for, and councillors seem to agree.
On top of increases across the board for services, residents must brace this year for an unparalleled electricity tariff increase of an estimated 15% for the next financial year.
In a memorandum handed to the municipality by concerned residents of Ward 5 (Pullenshope) last week, the community highlighted several concerns ‘adversely affecting our daily lives and wellbeing’.
According to the community, they are experiencing ‘severe’ challenges with the municipal water billing system, often estimated by the municipality if water meters aren’t read.
The memorandum accuses the municipality of disconnecting water services, without notice or communication in regard to payment arrangements, despite efforts by affected individuals to engage with the municipality.
“There’s been little to no co-operation, or willingness by the municipality to negotiate,” residents said.
The community has now called on Masilela to address the matter, in person, with them, while ordering that disconnections be restored until the complaints have been dealt with.
Two signatories of the memorandum, Kenneth Maepa and Aaron Mkwananzi, also said that basic maintenance, like the cutting of grass and the replacement of street lights, is grossly neglected, which almost all residents elsewhere, including Middelburg town, can relate to.
“Residents feel unsafe,” they said.
Maepa and Mkwananzi agree that the municipality is failing its mandate to provide essential services.
The memorandum also called for the appointment of a local community liaison officer, not an outsider, regarding an upcoming N11 road upgrade project.
Furthermore, they ask that at least 60% of the temporary jobs created with the road upgrade be given to local residents of Ward 5.
The memorandum warns that the community may be compelled to ‘explore further actions to ensure its voice is heard’ if the municipality fails to provide resolutions to their concerns.
At the same time, the DA has launched a petition to address ongoing sewage spills in Komati, Ward 4, where residents now claim their tap water is becoming increasingly unsafe due to the pollution.
Despite ongoing concerns raised by the community members over the past few months, the issue remains unresolved, and continues to escalate according to councillor Stefan Smith.
Smith found that the sewage spill starts on Heron Street, from where it spills into other streets.
He has called on Municipal Manager Mandla Mnguni to act with urgency.
Hendrina FF+ councillor Corrie Wolmarans said sewage pollution regularly occurs in the town, but that the problem has since been sorted, following threats of a criminal complaint against the municipality.
Though the council is yet to formally approve 2025/2026 tariff increases, a new integrated development plan for the next five years will also have to be adopted.
A Budget Indaba was scheduled for May 13, in order for residents to address the proposed increases. The community forum was, however, cancelled on Monday.
The municipality has not responded to a list of questions regarding ongoing service delivery complaints before print.
