Owners of iconic Hilton Hotel in Durban provide clarity on closure
African American Properties Hotel has cut ties with the global Hilton Hotel group, but has plans to reopen under a new name.
African American Properties Hotel, the owners of the iconic Hilton Hotel in Durban, have provided clarity on its sudden closure, saying it will reopen as the Royal Majestic Hotel in March.
The Berea Mail reported that during a visit to the hotel last week, they found a notice signed by management stating that the hotel was temporarily closed.
“Dear valued guests. Thank you for contacting us. We would like to inform you that our hotel is temporarily closed due to ongoing renovation works. We are working hard to enhance our facilities and improve your experience with us,” said the notice.
“We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your understanding. If you need assistance or would like information about future availability, please feel free to reach out,” added the notice.
African American Properties Hotel told Caxton Network News that the management agreement with the Hilton group was terminated due to unsatisfactory financial performance and occupancy levels, which did not meet strategic and commercial expectations.
The company said the hotel is scheduled to reopen next month, under new management. A sister hotel, the Royal Majestic Hotel Rosebank (previously the Hyatt Regency), opened last year.
Concerned guest
A single mother from Gauteng who booked her stay in December via Booking.com for March 5 spent this week looking for alternative accommodation.
She received an email on February 5 from hotel management informing her that the establishment was no longer a part of the group.
The 44-year-old woman, who did not want to be named, had booked accommodation for one night, spending R1 500 for her and her son (18).
“We are going on a cruise with a group of friends. Our plan was to drive to Durban and stay at the hotel before departing on the cruise the next day. I made the booking via Booking.com and when I received the email from the hotel, I was in complete shock,” says the woman.
“I had no clue what was going on. I called Booking.com and they also did not know about the closure,” she adds.
In her quest for answers, she tried to contact the hotel.
“I spoke to so many people and no one could give me answers. I went as far as calling the Hilton group. They could not help with a refund, but just an offer for me to stay at the Umhlanga branch at the same rate of R1 500,” she says.
“Since my booking was a special, I am not sure if I will get a refund. Booking.com is trying to assist me,” she adds.
The woman says this was supposed to be a special trip as her son had completed matric.
“It is so disappointing and stressful because guests have to do all the running around to find answers. We have found alternative accommodation, but it is at an additional cost to us. I hope I can get answers,” she adds.
Refunds on cancelled bookings
When asked to comment about the cancelled bookings, African American Properties Hotel said it would honour and accommodate any confirmed bookings once the hotel reopens.
However, the company said that reservations made through third-party booking platforms (including Booking.com and other agents) are processed and controlled directly through the previous hotel group’s central reservation system, and that it does not have access.
It says guests are advised to contact the respective booking platform or the previous hotel group directly regarding refunds or deposit arrangements.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za