Millions allocated to KZN dept for provision of emergency housing

Thousands of people were left homeless by heavy torrential rains in April and May that resulted in the loss of more than 440 lives and billions of rands worth of infrastructure damage.

KZN Premier Nomusa Dube-Ncube said the government plans to move thousands of families out of community care centres by the end of November.

Dube-Ncube, who made the commitment at Truro Hall in Westville on Sunday, added that the National Department of Human Settlements has granted the provincial department R325m for the provision of emergency housing solutions.

This, she said, has enabled the delivery of temporary residential units (TRU) which to date, stand at 1 315 units provincially.

“We are delighted to report that 80 shelters have now been linked to land parcels, but these land parcels are at different stages of readiness. We have established a specialised technical team led by the director-general that will focus on the programme of getting people out of community care centres and the mop-up operations.

“We also have 19 buildings that we are looking at for temporary emergency accommodation. These include former student accommodation, former hotels and state-owned properties. These facilities are currently not being used. They are in suburbs including Westpoint, Montclair and Ntuzuma. The criteria is that we look for existing accommodation and consider if it is habitable and whether it has basic services – water, electricity, sanitation and cooking and laundry facilities,” Dube-Ncube said.

Last month, the ad hoc joint committee on flood disaster relief and recovery raised concerns over the slow delivery of the TRUs.

The premier said out of the 1 315 TRUs, 1 202 have been occupied.

On the issue of repairs to damaged infrastructure, such as dams and water supply, Dube-Ncube said the province was making steady progress.

“The reconstruction of roads and infrastructure, especially in the Southern Basin, which became a scene of major destruction following the collapse of the Shongweni Dam, is well underway. The damage in this part of the province impacted negatively on the economy and affected companies such as Toyota and Transnet. We are making progress in rebuilding the water schemes that were washed away. We are on course to complete the construction work and to ensure the full restoration of water supply to the greater Othongathi area by November,” she said.

She added that repairs are underway on sewerage networks and sewerage pump stations with most of these repairs set to be completed by the end of November.

Read original story on southlandssun.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button