Owner seeks legal action after boat removed from Mossel Bay harbour

The owner of a vessel stranded on Santos Beach says he was not informed of its final removal and is preparing to consult a marine law attorney.

The owner, who wants to remain anonymous, of Wild Cat, which was removed from Santos Beach last Sunday (August 16), has expressed gratitude to those who assisted with the vessel while questioning how its removal was handled.

According to Mossel Bay Advertiser, the vessel spent more than two weeks stranded on the beach after breaking away from a swing mooring outside the Port of Mossel Bay. The owner said it ultimately became clear that the boat was a write-off and had to be cleared.

However, in a message to the Mossel Bay Advertiser, he said he did not know where the vessel was taken and received no direct communication from Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA).

“I do not know where Wild Cat was taken to, nor was I informed by anyone other than social media that Wild Cat was being removed,” he said.

He added that he does not live in Mossel Bay and is currently unable to travel due to personal reasons.

“I am compiling all information and searching for a good marine law attorney to start litigation,” he said.

The owner previously questioned why the vessel was moved from its berth inside the harbour shortly before it broke away and washed ashore.

According to information previously provided to the Advertiser, the vessel had been permitted to remain berthed in the harbour until July 31 while arrangements were being discussed for its relocation, inspections, and repairs.

However, the owner said he was informed on July 28 that the vessel had to be removed from the harbour by the end of that day, after which it was shifted to a swing mooring outside. He questioned whether the instruction came from TNPA.

TNPA confirmed to the Advertiser that the matter has been brought to its attention.

“It is currently being addressed directly between the port authority and the vessel owner,” TNPA said.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.mosselbayadvertiser.com

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button