Watch: Mass protest at court where Krugersdorp gang rape suspects appear
More than 80 suspects are appearing in court after the attack on a film crew and group of women shooting a music video at a mine dump in West Village.
Scores of people have gathered outside the Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court since 09:00 this morning to stage a massive protest to oppose the bail application of more than 80 people arrested for the gang rape and robbery of eight women and a film crew in West Village last week.
The suspects were arrested following the incident which occurred at a mine dump in West Village in Krugersdorp where the group were recording a music video.
Police have confirmed that 32 counts of rape as well as one of armed robbery are being investigated.
Outside court, Kagiso Block 10 community leader Dipuo Tlholoe said they are fed up with such incidents occurring within the community.
Joining in the protests are members of the Gender-based Violence Brigade, ActionSA, and West Village residents.
We are gathered here to say enough is enough and we are opposing these suspects being granted bail. We have had it with men having their way with us and we want to ensure that these men do not get to victimise another woman,” said Tlholoe.
She added that they would be staging a massive shutdown on Thursday, in an effort to eradicate illegal miners and immigrants within the West Rand.

Political party Action SA’s Themba Mabunda said they too wanted to see an end to violence and sexual assault against women and children.
The suspects are undocumented immigrants and will appear in court in terms of the Immigration Act 13 of 2002.
Meanwhile, Police Minister Bheki Cele has called on forensic services to speed up the tests on the DNA of the suspects linked to rape incident.
Read original story on krugersdorpnews.co.za