News / South Africa / Local News

Mari Rheeder
1 minute read
17 May 2017
2:35 pm

Baby boy chokes on milk, dies at Pretoria east nursery school

Mari Rheeder

The boy died in hospital after allegedly choking on milk.

Picture: Thinkstock

A 19-week-old baby boy died at his pre-school, “Kleinmensies Nursery School”, in Elardus Park after allegedly choking on milk.

The school principal, Rensche Nagel, said that the boy died in hospital on May 4, Rekord East reported.

“The school was not in any way reckless,” said Nagel.

She said that the baby was given his milk around 11:00 in his car seat to ensure he was in an upright position.

“Around 13:00 he and two of the other babies went for their nap.”

Nagel said that the eight babies were placed in a room where four assistants as well as herself looked after them.

“A short while after he fell asleep, an assistant frantically called me, because something was wrong with the baby.”

She said that she grabbed him and rushed to the Kloof Mediclinic.

“He still looked at me. I phoned his mother to inform her that something is wrong and that she should come to the hospital.”

She said the doctor said this was a freak accident.

“He said that it happens to babies when milk pushes up in their stomach. They then breathe the milk in and choke. Babies that experience this often make no sounds.”

Nagel said that she could not understand why this had to happen at her school.

“I have looked after children for 32 years. I feel so very sorry for the parents. My heart breaks for them. The entire accident happened so fast.”

Police could not be reached for comment.

Caxton News Service

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.