As of Monday this week, the total number of unplaced pupils in Gauteng, has been reduced to 4 700, the provincial department of Education said on Tuesday.
Responding to a query by The Citizen on Tuesday, spokesperson for the department Oupa Bodibe said officials were working around the clock to ensure that all pupils are in class as soon as the placements of all late applications has been completed.
“We hope to complete the placements by the end of this month,” Bodibe said.
He advised parents who still have admission challenges to visit their nearest districts.
Towards the end of last week, the department’s MEC Panyaza Lesufi announced that the number of unplaced pupils whose parents applied online has been drastically reduced to 7 092, of which 3 930 are Grade 1 and 3 162 are from Grade 8.
However, 12 821 completely new applications through walk-ins at the admission centres have been received by the department, of which 7 820 are for Grade 1 and 5 001 for Grade 8.
Several irate and frustrated parents blamed the delays on the new online application method, demanding that the old way of applying be brought back, but the department said it was happy with the new system.
As at January 17, the total number of unplaced pupils was 19 913, with online applications and walk-ins combined.
Meanwhile the DA’s shadow MEC for Education in the province, Khume Ramulifho, said expressed concern over unpaid teachers who were part of the exam marking process.
“Disgruntled teachers have informed the DA that despite having being paid a portion of the money owed to them, there is no indication from the department as to when they will receive the balance of their funds.
“The DA urges the MEC to intervene and avoid protest action planned for Friday as it will disrupt learning and teaching,” he added.