Shiraz Habbib
1 minute read
4 Aug 2017
7:01 pm

Three dead, two cuffed following shootout on N2 in Durban

Shiraz Habbib

It is believed the suspects were part of a cash-in-transit syndicate.

Three of the suspects involved in today's N2 shootout have died. Picture: Northglen News

Two armed suspects were killed after a high-speed chase led to a shootout on the N2 southbound near the Queen Nandi offramp in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, on Friday, reports the Northglen News.

The police made their first arrest then and later, it was found the incident had resulted in a third fatality as a search by police and security personnel found the body of one of the two suspects who had fled into a bush. Police also arrested his accomplice who had been injured.

The police are search for the suspects. Picture: Marshall Security

The police are search for the suspects. Picture: Marshall Security

Marshall Security’s Kyle van Reenen described how the incident unfolded. He said: “Six heavily armed suspects, driving a white Mercedes-Benz, believed to be part of cash-in-transit syndicate, tried to ram the officers off the freeway and a shootout ensued. Both vehicles careened off the roadway, down the median, before colliding with a civilian vehicle driving southbound.

“The driver, a woman in her 60s sustained moderate injuries. She was cut free with the Jaws of Life used by members of Rescue Care and Crisis Medical.”

The Mercedez-Benz was stolen from Reservoir Hills earlier this month.

For a while after the incident, the N2 was closed to traffic as it was being treated as a crime scene.

Listen as Van Reenen described the situation on Friday afternoon:

Traffic around Durban was gridlocked with delays on all major routes. According to i-Traffic KZN, travel time between the N2 Northbound from EB Cloete to KwaMashu I/C was 48 minutes.

After 6pm, the N2 was reopened.

Caxton News Service


Eastern Cape police on manhunt for rhino horn thieves

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.