Simnikiwe Hlatshaneni
Premium Journalist
2 minute read
21 Aug 2017
6:00 am

Manana ‘must quit as MP too’

Simnikiwe Hlatshaneni

Manana was reportedly given an ultimatum by Zuma to resign or be fired on Friday. He's still drawing a fat parliament salary though.

Deputy Minister of Higher Education Mduduzi Manana leaves the Randburg Magistrates Court with friends and his security detail after his bail hearing in 10 August 2017 in Johannesburg. The Minister handed himself in to police after allegedly assaulting a woman at Cubana nightclub last week. Picture: Yeshiel Panchia

Former deputy minister of higher education Mduduzi Manana should not just resign from government, he should also quit as an MP, the ANC Youth League (ANCYL) says.

The former deputy minister was reportedly given an ultimatum by President Jacob Zuma to resign or be fired on Friday.

The ANCYL’s Mlondi Mkhize said the organisation welcomed Manana’s resignation from government, but “he should equally consider his position in the National Assembly and consult with the ANC and the chief whip in order to come to a decision”.

The disgraced deputy minister, who apologised again in a statement on Saturday for assaulting two women at a nightclub in Johannesburg two weeks ago, is said to have received the support of senior female ANC leaders during a heated meeting of the party’s national working committee last week.

It was reported that Water Affairs Minister Nomvula Mokonyane and former energy minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson argued against the ANC disciplining Manana, despite him admitting to the assault.

Their defence of him was apparently in line with ANC Women’s League president Bathabile Dlamini’s controversial comments that there were other senior leaders in the party who ought to be disciplined before action was taken against Manana.

“They said discipline in the ANC must be applied in general and that there must be no holy cows. It was shocking,” an insider said.

In his resignation speech, Manana admitted he had “personal” issues to battle.

“I have to get to the bottom of why I acted in the manner I did, and then address any underlying issues that prompted my unfortunate action. Going forward, I have started seeking professional help so that I emerge as a stronger and better person.”

He will appear in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on September 13 facing a charge of assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm.

– simnikiweh@citizen.co.za