News / South Africa

Gosebo Mathope
2 minute read
9 Oct 2017
11:27 am

NPA withdraws charges against ‘Lion Mama’ who killed ‘rapist’

Gosebo Mathope

After going through evidence contained in the docket referred to him, the NDPP has decided to withdraw all charges.

FILE PIC: Shaun Abrahams on 7 July 2015 at the NPA offices where the Justice Minister Michael Masutha introduced him formally as the new head of the NPA (National Prosecuting Authority). Picture: Christine Vermooten

National director of public prosecutions (NDPP) Shaun Abrahams has decided to withdraw all charges against a Komani, Eastern Cape, woman accused of fatally stabbing a man and wounding two others after finding them allegedly raping her daughter.

The woman, who cannot be named to protect the identity of her daughter, had earlier told the Independent Media she does not regret what she did “to save her daughter”.

The woman is reported to have found three men allegedly raping her 27-year-old daughter at an unoccupied house at Zwartwater, near Komani, in early September. This after the friend of her daughter alerted her of the alleged crime.

“The state has withdrawn the charges. This means that she is free, and the state will not be pursuing criminal charges against her. The decision was taken by the NDPP – he looked at the docket, and based on the evidence a decision was taken not to proceed with the case,” said Luxolo  Tyali, spokesperson of the National Prosecution (NPA), in the Eastern Cape.

eNCA reporter Sandy McCowen was in court this morning when the decision was handed down.

Lady Frere Magistrates’ Court appears to have been packed with sympathetic community members who have previously told the media they fully support the woman’s action to protect her daughter from the alleged rapists.

The ‘Lion Mama’s’ case was swiftly disposed of when the senior prosecutor informed her all charges had been dropped.

After the decision was handed down, relieved community members showered the ‘Lion Mama’ with hugs.

She told the media she was relieved after enduring sleepless nights before today’s court case.

It is reported a Good Samaritan offered to assist with renovations to the woman’s house to allow her time so heal peacefully.


For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.