Citizen Reporter
Reporter
1 minute read
16 Mar 2019
8:00 pm

Nathi Mthethwa relieved by arrest in Living Legends theft case

Citizen Reporter

R8 million was stolen from the bank account of the Living Legends Legacy Programme and the minister says he is confident that following the arrest the law will take its course.

Nathi Mthethwa speaks to the media about the results of the ANC's Strategy and Tactics panel at the party's 54th National Elective Conference at Nasrec, Johannesburg on 20 December 2017. Mthethwa and Fikile Mbalula spoke about changes in the panel's policy, the importance of gender equity and the need to institute an inquiry on state capture. Picture: Yeshiel Panchia

A suspect in the theft of R8 million from the FNB bank account of the Living Legends Legacy Programme was arrested by the Hawks on Saturday, the Sowetan reports.

The suspect, who is a Johannesburg resident, was arrested in Durban.

News of the arrest came as a great relief for the minister of arts and culture, Nathi Mthethwa, who said in a statement that he has full confidence that the law will take its course.

Veteran musician Letta Mbulu, who chairs the Living Legends Legacy Programme, made an announcement in January that monies had been stolen from the account of the organisation.

The programme was established to not only honour living legends in the arts but also for the empowerment of young artists.

Mthethwa said in the statement that FNB would be engaged on a continuous basis to determine “how a bank account that is subject to stringent controls, in addition to existing strict banking regulations, could be compromised in this manner”.

Mthethwa said the department would not rest until the matter was resolved and the stolen money was recovered.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.