The DA’s Joburg caucus leader, Leah Knott, announced the party’s shadow cabinet in the Johannesburg city council on Tuesday.
According to the party, the shadow cabinet is comprised of a diverse team of councillors who have a wealth of experience and expertise.
“In holding the ANC-led government accountable, the DA’s shadow MMCs will ensure that the city’s resources are not wasted on frivolous vanity projects or squandered through corrupt activities.
“DA Shadow MMCs’ primary focus will be to put the residents of Johannesburg first, and to drive alternative solutions in council. The DA is a party that believes in the rule of law, a capable government, and a government that is accountable to the people.”
Here is the full list of councillors appointed to the DA shadow cabinet:
- Shadow MMC of health and social development: Genevieve Sherman
- Shadow MMC of transport: Sean Kreusch
- Shadow MMC of economic development: Ntombi Khumalo
- Shadow MMC of housing: David Brand
- Shadow MMC of group corporate and shared services: Dalu Cele
- Shadow MMC of development planning: Reuben Masango
- Shadow MMC of public safety: Michael Sun
- Shadow MMC of finance: Patrick Atkinson
- Shadow MMC of environment, infrastructure and services department: Nicole van Dyk
- Shadow MMC of community development: Belinda Kayser-Echeozonjoku
- Shadow MMC of public safety: Michael Sun (who has also been appointed as the DA Joburg’s deputy caucus leader)
“I wish to take this opportunity to congratulate the DA shadow cabinet and wish them the very best in serving and being accountable to the residents of Johannesburg in their respective portfolios,” added Knott.
(Compiled by Kaunda Selisho)