Unisa fails in bid to gag reports on alleged governance crisis

Unisa wanted the court to prevent the journalist from reporting on specified matters concerning the university.


The University of South Africa’s (Unisa) attempt to stop journalist Edwin Naidu from reporting on an alleged governance crisis at the institution has been struck from the urgent roll, and the university has been ordered to pay punitive legal costs.

Unisa’s application struck from court roll

On Thursday, Pretoria High Court Judge Colleen Collis struck Unisa’s application from the urgent court roll after finding that the matter lacked urgency and ordered the university to pay the journalist’s legal costs and those of EdNews.Africa on an attorney-and-client scale, including the costs of two counsel.

The case was brought after Unisa approached the court seeking, among other relief, the removal of certain articles published by EdNews.Africa and an order restraining Naidu from further reporting on specified matters concerning the university.

The application was lodged on 12 August, with Naidu and EdNews.Africa opposing the application, arguing that the matter did not meet the requirements for urgent court intervention.

They pointed out that the disputed articles had already been online for more than three weeks and that other publications were also reporting on the issues.

They further argued that no exceptional circumstances justified the urgent application.

Naidu and EdNews.Africa also argued that the material was either true and in the public interest or constituted reasonable publication, and that Unisa had failed to establish the requirements for an interim or final interdict.

Alleged governance crisis at Unisa

The dispute was sparked by reporting on what Naidu described as an alleged governance crisis at Unisa, including reports of staff burnout, deaths and hospitalisations.

Naidu, a journalist with three decades of experience, described the case as his first appearance in court as a journalist and said the application amounted to an attempt to gag his reporting.

Power Law Africa, which represented Naidu and EdNews.Africa, welcomed the ruling.

“The matter is now over, and our clients are entitled to continue reporting on the ‘ongoing governance crisis’ at Unisa,” lawyer Michael Power said.

The case also attracted the intervention of Moxii Africa, which successfully applied to participate as a friend of the court.

Unisa has recently made headlines for all the wrong reasons.

In May, The Citizen revealed that Public Protector Kholeka Gcaleka was probing allegations of maladministration, unlawful governance and questionable expenditure at the university.

The office is investigating allegations in a complaint lodged in February 2025 by former registrar Professor Steward Mothata that executive management operated outside the law, misused public funds, and fostered a culture of intimidation.

The former registrar has also opened a criminal case alleging that an e-mail used by the university against him in High Court proceedings was fabricated and falsely attributed to him.