CrimeLatest NewsNewsUpdate

Missing, kidnapped Newcastle child in Elandslaagte?

A vehicle believed to have been used in his kidnapping has been missing since Sunday afternoon, but was allegedly spotted last night at Elandslaagte.

An intensive manhunt has been launched to find 12-year-old Marcel Blandin de Chalain, who has been missing from his home in Newcastle since Sunday afternoon.

A vehicle believed to have been used in his kidnapping has been missing since yesterday afternoon, but was allegedly spotted last night at Elandslaagte, near Ladysmith in KwaZulu-Natal.

Outrage, desperation and hope has flooded the hearts of Newcastle residents, following the alleged kidnapping of 12-year-old Marcel Blandin de Chalain.Social media exploded with allegations and possible sightings, amid arguments with the parents of the child, accusing them of gross negligence.

According to sources within the town camera room, the vehicle was spotted driving up Victoria Road at approximately 9.30pm last night. No sightings, official or unofficial, have been reported since. Police officials on patrol were making use of social media sites to attend scenes where the vehicle was reportedly last seen.

“No case was opened, as the mother was too traumatised by the disappearance of her son,” said Captain Shooz Magudulela, police spokesperson. When provided with a case number received from the parents, he stated that he would only be able to give official comment after a morning meeting.

A police source confirmed that the docket had been officially opened as a missing persons case. Journalists and police officers will soon be on the ground searching an area the child was allegedly seen walking with the suspect, at approximately 3pm yesterday afternoon.

Marcel was last seen with the suspect, known as Johan de Beer, leaving his home in a white Ford Ranger light-duty vehicle, also at approximately 3pm on Sunday. Marcel has dark hair, blue eyes and answers to the nickname ‘Bollie’.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Captain Flip Claassen on 079 5000 453, who has confirmed that the situation is being treated as a missing persons case.

An Elandslaagte resident reported that he had spoken with the driver and confirmed his identity after a picture of the suspect was sent to him. He also confirmed that there was a second person in the vehicle.

The suspect allegedly asked the resident for 50 litres of diesel, as he was travelling to his farm in Harrismith. The resident then told him to rather go to the police station to ask for assistance.

The resident further reported the exact characteristics of the vehicle, unprompted, to unofficial sources.

Update:

Police sources have confirmed the suspect has a previous criminal record, also for theft of a motor vehicle in Johannesburg. He is also allegedly a
known drug user.

Family say:

A mother’s desperate pleas for the safe return of her 12-year-old son has escalated from panic to pure terror.

Marcel was last seen this afternoon, in the passenger seat of a white Ford Ranger; single cab light duty vehicle, registration NN 44495.

A white male, who is approximately 25-years-old, allegedly took the vehicle with the mother’s permission to dump garden refuse at the municipal dump site situated next to the N11.

When they had still not returned two hours later, she contacted the police and reported the incident.

“I just want my child returned to me safely,” she said. “I am not worried about the car. Please, please just bring him back to me,” she continued, fighting to regulate her breathing.

Unofficial police sources have confirmed that a wide net has been cast, with police stations as far as Villiers and Vrede now on the lookout for the vehicle.

Ladysmith Police join manhunt for missing boy:

Ladysmith police have joint the manhunt for missing Marcel. Dog Unit officers along with other visible policing units are hunting for the stolen vehicle as well as the young boy.

 

Original story and links on Newcastle Advertiser site HERE

Further update: HERE

 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Rod Skinner

He is the Regional Editor NKZN and Online Editor for the Northern Natal News. He has 30 plus years of experience.

Related Articles

Back to top button