Municipal workers face disciplinary action after illegal strike
It has been a challenging couple of weeks for the Municipality, following the illegal strike led by municipal workers that broke out between 19 and 22 September 2022.
It has been a challenging couple of weeks for the Municipality, following the illegal strike led by municipal workers that broke out between 19 and 22 September 2022.
As the activity was illegal, the municipality was able to interdict the workers. There have been a total of 111 officials identified in the videos and still photos involved in this action, including three Union officials. Management initiated a disciplinary process against all those officials.
By Friday, 14 October 2022, 60 workers had already received letters notifying them of the intention to suspend. “Most of them received their letters of notification on Monday, 17 October 2022 but there are still those who are to receive theirs,” Tshite said.
As a result of intimidation by those who received letters, service delivery has been affected. In particular, waste collection and waste management are affected, but the municipality is working to resolve the issue. “The plan of the municipality amongst others, is to resolve prevailing challenges related to service delivery as speedily as possible,” Tshite said.
Tshite added that if employees fail to return to work as soon as possible they will face consequences.





