CrimeLocal newsNews

Police task team deployed to crack down on murder cases

Three suspects purportedly connected to the recent killings in Wentworth are scheduled to appear in court.

A SPECIAL police task team has been deployed in Wentworth to probe the recent killings of people which has left the community fearing for their lives.

Police spokesperson in Wentworth Captain Mbuso Gumede said the task team has hit the ground running by arresting three suspects in two days. The task team members, in conjunction with police officers from south Durban stations, raided the Wentworth flats. Acting on the information received, the police arrested the suspects linked to the recent killings in the area.

Also read: Wentworth and Merebank residents tremble as shootings persist in the area

A teenager (16) was shot dead in Woodville Road by two unknown suspects on May 21. On the same day, another person was shot dead while walking at the intersection of Major Calvert and Hime Street in Wentworth. Two suspects, aged 17 and 19, were arrested over the weekend. They were both charged with murder.

Another suspect (18) was arrested on May 22 during the police sting operation conducted in the Wentworth flats. The suspect was linked to the murder that occurred at the intersection of Major Calvert and Hime Street last week. The victim (38) sustained a gunshot wound to his head and died at the scene.

All three suspects are expected to appear at the Durban Magistrate’s Court soon.

Also read: JUST IN: Shooting incident in Wentworth leaves two people injured

In another incident, a man (22) was shot and wounded after an unknown suspect opened fire on him on Major Calvert Street on May 21. Police believe that all these incidents could be related. Police are investigating a case of attempted murder, however, no arrest has been made for this matter.

The ward committee member for health, safety and security, Sharin Rajman, urged law enforcement to eradicate all illicit firearms from the streets.

“We need more police visibility in the community. Nobody has a right to take someone’s life. It’s shocking because our future leaders are being killed almost every day. Such heinous crime must come to an end,” she said.

As the investigation unfolds, authorities remain steadfast in their commitment to pursuing justice and holding those responsible for this heinous act accountable.

Ward 68 councillor Aubrey Snyman alleged that there is ongoing animosity between two gangs of youngsters in the area. He also alleged that the groups are involved in drugs.

“Quite often, there is a shooting in our community because of the wheeling and dealing of drugs. The community is under siege and is stressed and traumatised. This cannot go on forever. Law enforcement needs to take control of the situation and take this kind of behaviour seriously and address it with utmost urgency,” said Snyman.

Anyone who may have witnessed the events leading up to the shooting or have any relevant details is encouraged to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or reach out to SAPS Wentworth directly on 031 451 6240/6241/6242. Police said anonymity will be guaranteed for those who wish to provide information discreetly.

For more Southlands Sun news, follow us on Facebook or Twitter. You can also follow us on Instagram.

Related Articles

 
Back to top button