Crime

WATCH: Third suspect appears in Reiger Park killings case

The three accused are expected to return to the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court on August 25, when they will be joined in the matter and are expected to apply for bail.

Alvino Crawford (27), the third suspect arrested in connection with the Reiger Park killings, made his first appearance in the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court today, August 21.

He is the third person to be arrested in connection with the killings.

Crawford, who is reportedly the cousin of accused number one, Regan Collis (23), faces the same charges as his co-accused.

His appearance comes as the investigation into the deadly shooting continues. The attack claimed the lives of Jaydin Magerman (27), Roleen Lessing (31), and SAPS Anti-Gang Unit members Constables Thapelo Tlomatsane (29) and Sphiwe Sibeko (28).


Accused number three, Alvino Crawford, in the dock during his first appearance at the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court. Photo: Fanie Mthupha.

The charges levelled against the trio include four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances and two counts of unlawful possession of firearms.

Crawford was arrested on August 19 by the Hawks’ Serious Organised Crime Investigation team based in Germiston following an intelligence-driven operation.

First accused Collis was arrested and appeared in court on August 12, while the second accused, Jamal Meyer (24), was arrested on August 16 and made his first appearance on August 19.


Accused number one, Regan Collis, in the dock during his appearance at the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court. Photo: Fanie Mthupha.

During their separate appearances, defence attorney Samkele Kuzani, who represents all three accused, told the court that his clients had allegedly been assaulted by police during their arrests.

Meyer previously told the court that he had suffered lacerations and bruising and complained of sharp pain in his chest.

Kuzani also told the court that Crawford complained of intense pain and lacerations to his right cheek and feared he may have internal bleeding, although this had not yet been medically confirmed.

Kuzani further said Collis had also alleged that he was assaulted and suspected that he may have suffered internal bleeding.



The Hawks have said they will await the medical assessments and resulting J88 reports before the allegations are dealt with, potentially by IPID.

The Hawks have also not ruled out further arrests as the investigation continues and investigators search for the murder weapons.

The three accused are expected to return to the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court on August 25, when they will be joined in the matter and are expected to apply for bail.

The state has indicated that it will oppose bail.


ALSO READ: Reiger Park killings: Hawks respond to video raising questions over arrests

ALSO READ: Reiger Park killings: Hawks make third arrest

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Boksburg Advertiser in Google News and Top Stories.

Fanie Mthupha

Fanie joined Boksburg Advertiser over 14 years ago – covering a wide range of issues under the sun. He rose up the ranks from mid-level to senior journalist & became a news-editor. He studied journalism at Damelin & went on to complete his Diploma in Media Practices course at BMH – focusing on print and online media. He loves acting as the eyes and ears of the public.

Related Articles

Back to top button