4 corn on the cob/mielies
175g plain cream cheese
250g streaky bacon
15ml (1 tbsp) fresh garlic, crushed
1½ fresh jalapeño chillies, finely chopped
45ml (3 tbsp) fresh chives, finely chopped, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Boil or steam the whole mielies, 20 minutes, then refresh them in cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Cut each mielie into 3cm rounds or just slightly bigger than the width of the bacon.
2. Spread each round with some cream cheese and wrap with a piece of streaky bacon, making sure you cover all of the kernels. Use a toothpick to secure the bacon.
3. Gently grill the bacon-wrapped mielies on the braai until lightly charred or, alternatively, chargrill on a hot griddle pan. Finish off in the preheated oven, 10 – 12 minutes.
4. For the spicy butter, place the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and melt gently, 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in the garlic and chillies and place back over low heat, 2 minutes.
5. To serve, drizzle the spicy butter over the warm bacon-wrapped mielies and scatter fresh chives on top.
Brought to you by Food and Home