Christmas just isn’t Christmas without a delicious, saucy gammon on your menu. There are so many gammon recipes to choose from, from a honey-glazed gammon to an apricot and apple glazed gammon, gammon cooked in Appletizer and one with a raspberry glaze.
If you have tried them all, and are looking to spice up your recipe a little this year, you might want to try this Coca-Cola gammon recipe.
It is really quick and easy to make, taking only 30 minutes to prep and 150 minutes to cook.
If there’s leftovers the next day, you can use the meat to make sweet mustard gammon sandwiches, which the whole family will love.
Gammon recipe ingredients:
- 2kg Boneless gammon
- 2 litres of Coca-Cola (or enough to cover the gammon)
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot halved
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 star anise
- 10 to 15 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Half a teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Half a cup of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Place the gammon in a large pot with the onion, carrot, star anise and garlic.
- Pour the Coca Cola into the pot, making sure that the meat is completely covered.
- Bring to the boil on the stove with the lid on, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 2 hours.
- Remove the meat from the pot and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- To make the glaze, take a cup of the liquid from the gammon pot and bring it to a simmer in a small pan, with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir intermittently, allowing the liquid to reduce, till it has thickened a bit.
- Remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Once the meat has cooled sufficiently, remove the netting that holds the meat together.
- Slice the skin of the gammon off with a sharp knife, making sure that the fat layer underneath remains intact.
- Score the fat with 1cm deep cuts in a check pattern, then push a clove into the incisions made where the two cuts cross each other
- Place the meat into a roasting pan and brush the glaze generously over the entire gammon.
- Bake in a pre-heated, 180°C oven for 25-30 mins, until the top of the meat is golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest, then decorate with some caramelised cherries and pineapple before serving.
This recipe was found on foodloversmarket.co.za