President Jacob Zuma’s supporters in the ANC Youth League and Women’s League have reportedly indicated that they are boycotting an all-inclusive conference organised by former Umkhonto weSizwe combatants under the banner of MK national council.
The conference, set to take place in Nasrec, Soweto, from Friday to Saturday, was organised by former combatants including Siphiwe Nyanda and Deputy Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Thabang Makwetla.
Among those invited include former presidents Thabo Mbeki and Kgalema Motlanthe, the SACP, Cosatu and the SA Council of Churches, to name a few.
The two ANC leagues told The Sowetan they only recognised the Umkhonto weSizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) under the leadership of Kebby Maphatsoe as the legitimate structure.
Maphatsoe is a staunch Zuma supporter.
Youth league general-secretary Njabulo Nzunza on Wednesday told the publication: “As veterans they are supposed to play an active role in the ANC, but they are dividing the organisation further. We are not going to attend an all-inclusive conference called by Siphiwe Nyanda. The report pertaining to the MKMVA was tabled at the national executive committee [NEC] meeting.”
The NEC last week referred the matter concerning a decision on the legitimacy of the conference, which re-elected Maphatsoe as the MK president in June, to the ANC national working committee.
Women’s league secretary-general Meokgo Matuba reportedly told the publication they had not received the invitation to the conference, saying even if they did, they would also not attend.
However, Nyanda told a different story, describing the two leagues as the “worst dividers” of the ruling party, and said they had been invited to the conference.
SACP spokeperson Alex Mashilo told the publication they had received an invitation, and “we are going to honour it”.