News / South Africa / Education

Narissa Subramoney
Copy rewriter
2 minute read
24 Oct 2021
1:24 pm

Gauteng education dept busy placing Grade 1, 8 pupils in schools

Narissa Subramoney

Parents who applied online on time and haven't yet received an SMS are most likely to receive their offers by end of November.

Onkopotse Tiro Primary school in Kagiso, West Rand in Johannesburg, 12 February 2021. Picture for illustration: citizen.co.za/Nigel Sibanda

The Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) is busy placing Grade one and Grade eight pupils in schools for the 2022 academic year. The department opened online admissions for Grades one and eight in public schools in September.

The admission process has since been closed, and officials are now working on placements.

“This part of the admissions process involves parents and guardians either receiving a placement offer via SMS or on the website.

“Learner placements officially commenced on 15 October 2021 and will continue until 30 November 2021,” said Gauteng education department MEC Panyaza Lesufi.

ALSO READ: Gauteng education dept says it’s ready for matric exams

So far, 123,752 placement offers have been released to parents.

“Of these, 47,906 applicants have accepted the offers and have been placed,” said Lesufi.

Records show that 75,846 applicants received offers, but have not yet accepted them.

Parents who did not receive a placement offer via SMS need to check the admissions website for the status of their applications, and accept the offer (or offers) if available.

“Offers may be accepted provisionally, while further offers are awaited or accepted as final. Once an offer is accepted as final, no further offers will be made, stressed Lesufi.

Some parents who applied online on time and have not yet received an SMS are most likely to receive their offers by end of November, as the process is still ongoing.

Overcrowding may be unavoidable as applications exceed capacity

“We have identified 10 high-pressure schools during the application period,” said the department in a statement.

They are as follows:

  1. Inqayizivele Secondary School
    Capacity: 340
    Applications received: 1,916
  2. Hoërskool Langenhoven
    Capacity: 300
    Applications received: 1,477
  3. Parktown Boys High School
    Capacity: 210
    Applications received: 1,441
  4. Hulwazi Secondary School
    Capacity: 320
    Applications received: 1,375
  5. Jeppe High School For Boys
    Capacity: 208
    Applications received: 1,276
  6. Sir Johan Adamson High School
    Capacity: 280
    Applications Received: 1,248
  7. Lesiba Secondary School
    Capacity: 350
    Applications Received: 1,240
  8. Hoërskool Jeugland
    Capacity: 260
    Applications Received: 1,154
  9. Hoërskool President
    Capacity: 450
    Applications Received: 1,130
  10. Eqinisweni Secondary School
    Capacity: 370
    Applications Received: 1,123

These schools will not be able to accommodate all applicants, but the department has urged parents not to panic, as it is working on a solution to accommodate all pupils.

“Our officials will work tirelessly to ensure that pupils are accommodated at alternative schools.”

The department promised to assist schools in high-pressure areas to build more classrooms to accommodate more learners for future admissions.

“For a mere fact that Inqayizivele Secondary in Tembisa, a township school, received the most number of applications is an indication that we have changed the landscape in the improvement of township education,” said Lesufi.

NOW READ: Online applications for the 2022 academic year open on Monday in Gauteng