Shocking news broke on Tuesday morning when learners from Nelson Ngobeni Primary School in Witbank fell ill, after allegedly being poisoned, reports Witbank News.
Two children died as a result, and 11 were reportedly hospitalised, although Sowetan Live reported that three learners have died.
The children reportedly ate food and began vomiting, while others complained of stomach pains, and were subsequently rushed to hospital.
Police are currently investigating.
Updates to follow as more information is made available.
Additional reporting by Nica Schreuder