The municipal freeway in KwaZulu-Natal that had a portion of its stretch washed away in the heavy rains earlier this month is not going to be completed anytime soon.
When the North Coast Courier visited the site on Sunday morning, it was a frenzy of activity, with bulldozers and cranes moving soil up towards the top of the damaged embankment.
DA Ward 58 councillor Geoff Pullan visited the site on Tuesday and said the drainage piping was almost fully connected.
“The 900-millimetre piping is getting connected and the team is currently working on a kink towards the top of the bank,” said Pullan.
With the current level of earthworks and with progress edging ahead gingerly, it is expected that the M4 will not be ready to open again until June, according to Pullan.
Trucks and TLBs were starting to back-fill the cavity amid suggestions from viewers on the North Coast Courier’s Facebook page that a bridge should be built instead.
Mahmood Khan commented: “Either build a bridge or relocate the M4 further inland. This exercise is a waste of taxpayers money as the next time it rains we will have to repair again.”
The construction site was a hive of attention recently on December 10 as heavy rains carried away the ongoing repair efforts to date, forcing the contractor on-site to begin repairs from scratch.