Local news

Rubber bullets fired in Potch protest

Myburgh added that the use of rubber bullets to disperse protesters is always a last resort.

A group of protesters was dispersed by rubber bullets between 06:00 and 07:30 on June 16, amid scenes of public unrest.

In the early hours of a day known for the commemoration of the 1976 Soweto Youth Uprising and other related incidents, community members were intercepted by police in Chief Albert Luthuli Drive.

No arrests were made on the scene Police spokesperson Colonel Adele Myburgh said that officers were dispatched to the area in response to reports of unrest that have been ongoing since last week.

“The protesters are disgruntled and unhappy about the level of service delivery that has been happening in their community. Their issues include, lack of water, electricity, and employment,” she said.

According to Myburgh, the group had blocked the road, causing dozens of citizens to reroute their journeys to work.

“We had police officers who couldn’t come through, who were supposed to go on duty,” she added.

Myburgh added that the use of rubber bullets to disperse protesters is always a last resort.

“We have policies that dictate the use of force. We always try to negotiate first, then give protestors a chance to disperse peacefully, only when all avenues have failed do we resort to the use of rubber bullets or water cannons,” she said.

Engagements with the Acting North-West Provincial Commissioner, Major General Patrick Asaneng, and Executive Mayor, Gaba Thithiba Ka Qhele, took place.

“So that they can meet with these people to sit around the table and come up with a solution,” Myburgh said.

The Potchefstroom Herald contacted the JB Marks municipality for comment on the situation, but has not received feedback.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Potchefstroom Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Tania Coetzee

I am a passionate journalist and photographer. I have been a photographer for 15 years and a journalist for 4 years. I recently started working for Potchefstroom Herald. I love writing people's stories and showcasing their inner beauty through photography.

Related Articles

Back to top button