Kaunda Selisho
Lifestyle Journalist
3 minute read
7 Oct 2021
4:33 pm

‘I am not an abuser’: Bujy responds to GBV accusations after fight with Boity

Kaunda Selisho

Bujy Bikwa has made his first public statement since being arrested for allegedly assaulting Boity Thulo.

Bujy has issued a statement regarding his assault of Boity Thulo | Picture: Instagram

South African media personality and former Metro FM DJ Bujy Bikwa has spoken publicly for the first time since he was arrested on charges of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to Boity Thulo.

“I have been through the most rough, emotional and difficult time the past few days regarding allegations against me of GBV [gender-based violence]. In no way do I condone such behaviour and actions that occurred on the night, however, I feel victimised as I was not given the opportunity to relay my side of the story,” wrote Bujy in a statement.

“After the incident took place, I tried to reach out to the said complainant in many ways available to me but with no success. I then spoke to my management team and advised them about what had transpired on Tuesday evening and what I had tried to achieve in resolving the matter before the necessity of taking further actions,” he added.

He then addressed comments made by members of the public who accused him of perpetrating gender-based violence (GBV).

“I have been labelled as an abuser which I am not and it saddens me to see how this has spiralled out, with people believing and siding with one side of a story.”

LISTEN: Here’s what happened the night Bujy and Boity got into it

Bujy claims he was verbally abused by Boity, who reportedly told him that his surname has no relation to who he is and that is why his career was “not going anywhere”.

“Furthermore, during a verbal confrontation, I was then physically assaulted being kicked and punched while being told that (“I’m a man, I’m a man”) I must take it. The pain and suffering of having to let a woman abuse me verbally and physically while trying to contain myself and holding her hands to stop was not enough, until witnesses managed to defuse the situation.”

With regards to his reaction to Boity’s alleged conduct, Bujy admitted to emptying his drink on Thulo but claims that he meant no harm by his actions.

“With a glass in my hand, I unintentionally threw it out of frustration. Without any intention to cause physical harm, I do however acknowledge that matters could have been handled in a different way and I sincerely do apologise for how it ended.”

Bujy concluded by stating that he had opened a counter case of common assault against Boity.

“… after being in pain from the injuries I sustained for [seven] days, being held in police custody, I have received medical attention and have filed my medical records towards my counter case. I do trust and believe that justice will be fairly served and ask that speculations be just that, as the matter is being handled by law enforcement and further investigations are still underway.”

Bujy was released on R2,000 bail after spending a weekend in jail. He appeared in the Midrand Magistrates Court on Wednesday morning, after his initial bail application was postponed on Friday.

He was also ordered to stay away from Boity and not contact any of the witnesses who were present on the night. Boity was not present for court proceedings.