To celebrate The Real Hot Dogs of Mzansi Awards, we have put together recipes of Mzansi’s favourite, delicious and proudly South African hot dogs.
“Our aim is to pay homage to the things that define our unique national identity, using icons that everyone can relate to and that showcase our cultural diversity, while bringing South Africans together through the shared love of hot dogs,” said Eskort Group Marketing Manager, Marcelle Pienaar.
The Sowetan Derby hot dog
- 2 smoked russians
- 4 milk bread buns
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup of your favorite atchar mix
- 2 teaspoons garlic mayo
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- Heat a frying pan over a moderate heat and fry the russians until golden.
- Brush the outsides of your buns with the butter and roll it in the sesame seeds.
- Add the russians to the buns.
- Top with the mayo and mustard.
- Dollop with your atchar and serve.
The parliament hot dog
- 1 charcoal black hot dog roll, grilled or toasted
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup smashed avocado with seasonings (salt, pepper and lemon juice)
- 2 smoked viennas
- A handful of spicy hot nacho chips
- Spicy hot dip (your favourite hot sauce)
- Make a fire that’s honourable enough to grill your roll.
- Assemble all your ingredients for your hot dog in an honourable kitchen.
- Enjoy your hot dog in a parliamentary manner; if someone asks for a bite call a point of order.
The load shedding hot dog
- 1 cheesy hot dog bun
- 2 chicken and cheese viennas
- ½ cup of BBQ pulled pork
- 2 tablespoons creamy mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- If you have electricity switch it off at the mains.
- Check the battery on your phone and calculate how long your battery will last when using the flashlight.
- Shuffle your way to the fridge and take all your ingredients out.
- Assemble the hot dog while balancing your phone against your coffee cup or wine bottle.
- Enjoy your hot dog while the sound of your neighbour’s generator sings you a sweet song.
These recipes were supplied by eskort.com