Recipe: Spider steak with pickled mushrooms
Tender slices of steak dressed in a flavourful soy glaze and topped with pickled shimeji mushrooms.
Spider steak with pickled mushrooms. Picture: Supplied
Want fine dining splendour in your own home for a dinner party? Chef Jack Coetzee from Urbanologi shares this recipe that you can replicate with no hassle.
10 x 150g spider steaks
100g sunflower shoots, to garnish
100g soy sauce
100g oyster sauce
500g shimeji mushroom
200ml white wine vinegar
1. For the soy glaze, finely chop garlic and ginger. Mix the remaining ingredients well.
2. Bring the sherry, vinegar and sugar up to the boil.
3. Trim the bottoms of shimeji mushrooms. Add the mushrooms into the pickle whilst hot and leave to cool.
4. Grill the spider steaks to medium rare. Remove, slice and dress with soy glaze.
5. Place spider steak in the middle of the plate. Top with shimeji mushroom. Garnish with sunflower shoots.
Note: the spider steak can be substituted for any other cut you choose.