Not everyone’s New Year’s resolution is to lose weight. Some people, who have really fast metabolisms and other health problems, are desperately trying to gain weight.
While some people only need to smell a chocolate bar in order to gain weight, those who desperately want to pack some extra meat on their bones can pretty much eat anything their heart desires without the scale even budging slightly.
Whether you are underweight, or a bodybuilder or athlete trying to gain weight in order to build muscle, it’s important to understand that this doesn’t give you carte blanche to hit McDonalds every single day.
While eating fast food will help you gain weight, the junk food will not satisfy the nutrition your body needs. Eating too much junk food can also lead to obesity, which can put pressure on your heart and lungs.
To gain weight quickly and safely, there are certain foods you should include in your diet to help you achieve your goal:
- Milk is a great source of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Include milk in your diet throughout the day if you are trying to gain weight.
- Protein shakes – If you’re trying to pick up weight, have a protein shake in addition to your breakfast or dinner. Protein shakes shouldn’t be used as a meal replacement when you are trying to gain weight. Steer clear of the ready-made ones as these are usually packed with sugar and other additives.
- Rice is your friend. One cup of rice contains about 200 calories.
- Red meat. Steak and other red meats contain protein and fat which is great for healthy weight gain.
- Nuts and nut butters (with no sugar, salt and other added preservatives). Nuts are a delicious snack and can also be added to salads and other meals.
- Other foods to include in your diet include eggs, cheese, yoghurt, salmon, potatoes, corn, beans, squash, oats, legumes, sweet potatoes, pasta and whole-grain breads.