Local newsNewsNews

Sipho continues to recover in leaps and bounds

Sipho Hadebe, a man who underwent an operation to remove a tumour on his face, is happy to finally smile and walk in the streets without people staring at him.

Sipho Hadebe, a man who underwent an operation to remove a tumour on his face, is happy to finally smile and walk in the streets without people staring at him.

According to the 39-year-old, it was not easy to be seen in public and now he has regained his confidence.


The tumour started growing 12 years ago. When he went to the hospital, he thought it was just a toothache, but to his surprise he learned it was not.

During an interview with Barberton Times, he could not help but share the joy he has since maxillofacial surgeon, Dr Pieter Scheepers, performed the massive seven-hour reconstructive surgery, free of charge, with the help of Dr Barry Geldenhuys at Lowveld Hospital in November last year.

The hospital made its operating theatre, equipment and staff available for free.
Dr Hannes Raath donated the money required to pay for Hadebe’s prosthesis. The hospital needed funds to cover the anaesthetist fees as well as the costs of the medication.
This problem was overcome when the Nelspruit Anaesthetists Association offered to do the procedure for free.
Hadebe said that Raath saw him while he was working and said he knew people that were able to help him. He connected Hadebe with Scheepers.
Hadebe works as a security guard at New Consort Mine, Barberton. “When he first saw me, I had already tried to get help from a local hospital.
“When I first went to the hospital, I was sent back since they could not help me because I was swollen. They said I must come back when I was no longer swollen. As the years passed I continued to get swollen, and I had not received the help needed.


“After Raath contacted me with the doctor he felt could help me, I had a meeting with him. Scheepers told me that he was able to help me.” His journey to recovery has been interesting and, according to Hadebe, his doctor says his healing process is going well.
“I still remember after my surgery I was so excited that I now looked like others, because I did not feel welcomed and accepted by the community.
“I went home on a Friday after my surgery, and on Sunday some of my relatives came to see me just to celebrate with me.”

After his surgical procedure, his employer allowed him to resume work on January 18.

“I went for a check-up on January 17. When I went back to work, they gave me light duties due to my condition so that I could start working again because my wife had been the breadwinner for a year. My employers have been kind to allow me to work in my condition.”
During an interview with his wife, Lindiwe, she said it was not an easy period of her life but she had to be strong for both of them.
“When we were facing all those challenges, most of the people I thought I could rely on, distanced themselves from us.
“Watching him sick and knowing that there was nothing I could do, was more painful. I am just grateful for what God has done for us because it was hard, and I couldn’t understand why things were happening the way they were.
“I knew I had to keep going because I had faith that one day he would be okay,” she said. Hadebe still needs more surgeries to have his teeth implants and to rebuild the muscles in his jaw.
“I have been going for check-ups and will have my next surgery in June or July after I have healed completely.”
After his final surgical procedures, Hadebe said his biggest dream is to complete his theology studies at his local church.
“I was studying part-time and completed my first year in 2014. I did my second year in 2015.
“I was supposed to start with my third year in 2016, however, I could not because I was sick and now I am looking forward to continuing because it is my calling to be a pastor.”
He said that he owes his opportunity to smile again to God, through whom he managed to meet all the people who helped him.

“I am grateful to everyone who played a role. I want my wife to know that I am truly thankful for everything. Raath, Scheepers, Lowveld Media for publishing the first article that made people contact me, Lowveld Hospital from the groundsman to the entire staff and management, Barberton Mines, my employers, everyone who shared my story, the entire country and everyone who contributed. I truly appreciate the help I received.”

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Lowvelder in Google News and Top Stories.

Bridget Mpande

Bridget Mpande is the editor assistant for Mpumalanga News and Lowvelder Express. She joined Lowveld Media in 2014 and covers several beats in the newsroom. She is a mentor and believes there is no community newspaper without the community.
Back to top button