More protests mar tourism in Hazyview area
Visitors to the Kruger National Park had been advised to use Phabeni Gate for entrance to the park.

Traffic to and from Kruger Gate and Sabi Sand Game Reserve was severely affected during the last two weeks due to service delivery protests in the region of Belfast.
Unfortunately that is something the local tourism industry will have to tolerate at least until the coming elections, is the view of local tourism organisations. “It is inevitable that it would continue until May,” says Hazyview Chamber of Tourism and Business (HCBT) chairman Chris Harvie. “We have to understand the issues these communities are complaining about and from our side we also encourage authorities to give attention to their complaints.”
The R536 was blocked at Mkuhlu most of Monday and visitors to the Kruger National Park had been advised by SANParks to use Phabeni Gate for entrance to the park.
Protests included planned marches to the municipal offices at the Newington and Belfast four-way stop on Monday morning and on Tuesday the R536 was blocked again. Protesters moved to different locations on the road through Mkuhlu.
Self-drive tourists travelling by road to Southern Sabi Sand were advised by its management to avoid Mkhuhlu by entering Kruger at Phabeni and coming out at Paul Kruger Gate again to use Shaw’s Gate into Sabi Sand.
Newington Gate was advised to be avoided. Visitors to Djuma, Arathusa and other camps in the north were unaffected and could gain access via Acornhoek.
Due to a police and fire brigade presence, the road was opened later on Tuesday morning and by the time of going to press, motorists could get access to all their destinations. They were, however, advised via local Whatsapp and online groups by different tourism operators, traffic authorities and security companies to drive carefully due to debris like stones and branches on the road.
On Monday members of the HCBT had a meeting with SAPS commanding officer Col Sabelo Mlangeni and his team. He assured them that the police are doing their best to curb the consequences of these actions. “We are determined to make a difference, but have to deal with our own frustrations,” he told the representatives.
“We understand their frustrations too and will continue to support their actions,” Harvie reiterated.
The Kruger Lowveld Chamber of Business and Tourism (KLCBT) recently also expressed concern about the increase in violent service-delivery protests.
At the time KLBCT president, Oupa Pilane strongly condemned all criminal acts in the form of violence, closing roads and making it difficult for tourists to travel, destruction of property and looting, under the guise of these service-delivery protests. He called on all leaders in government to work with all organs of civil society to ensure that issues are properly raised and attended to, so that damage to the economy and investor confidence could be avoided.
“We keep on working through the right channels and keep the public updated through the various Whatsapp and online groups,” Harvie promised.
