As parents, we can help nurture an eco-warrior generation. Our youth hold the key to recycling’s future. We must educate our youngsters on the benefits of recycling and how they can help our environment.
The Glass Recycling Company proposes these eco-friendly family activities:
- When buying packaged goods, consider reusing or recycling the packaging. Glass is 100% recyclable and never loses its purity or strength.
- Plan your daily trips to glass banks. Show the kids where to store their bottles.
- Teach your kids what is recyclable. Glass food and drink containers can be recycled.
- Other glass products such as window glass, ovenware, Pyrex, crystal, and light bulbs are not recyclable in South Africa.
- Reuse old cans. Colours, crayons, and other art supplies can be stored in them.
- Create games that recycle. Let your kids throw non-recyclable objects like plastic bottles into a bin from a distance to see whether they get a ‘basket’.
- Encourage your kids to recycle. Your projects can include printer paper, cardboard boxes, glass and plastic bottles, cans, old clothing, newspaper, and wood scraps. Masks from cardboard, planes from paper, and creatures from cans and bottles.