Although showed together with the double cab back in May, the locally made Nissan Navara has now gone on sale in single cab guise, a bodystyle first for the nameplate in South Africa.
In a reversal of the current, pre-facelift D23 as well as the previous generation D40, which came in either King Cab or double cab configurations, the workhorse spec Navara eschews the coil spring rear suspension of the double cab for traditional leaf springs with the independent setup at the front remaining.
Up front, and for the first time since the D40, a petrol engine is offered, though not a V6 and without the option of an automatic gearbox or four-wheel-drive.
Limited to the returning XE, a trim grade last offered on the previous generation X-Trail, the normally aspirated 2.5-litre petrol produces 118kW/233Nm with drive being routed to the rear wheels only through a six-speed manual gearbox. Claimed payload is 1 085 kg.
The rest of the single cab line-up is an all diesel affair but in two states tune. As in the double cab, the 2.5-litre YD25DDTi oil-burner that powered the D40 and the Pathfinder returns as replacement for the single-and-twin-turbo 2.3-litre YS23DDT and YS23DDTT due to South Africa’s less stringent emissions requirements.
In XE and SE guises, the unit produces 120kW/403Nm and the full 140kW/450Nm in the range-topping LE. As with the rest of the range, only a six-speed manual gearbox is available with the SE and LE also having the option of four-wheel-drive.
On the payload side, the XE has a claimed capacity of 1 144 kg with respective figures of 1 132 kg and 1 119 kg for the SE. The LE meanwhile has a hauling capacity of 1 083 kg for the rear-wheel-drive and 1 069 kg for the four-wheel-drive.
Specification-wise, the XE rides on 16-inch steel wheels as standard and also comes with the following:
- black bumpers, mirrors and door handles;
- electric mirrors;
- dual front airbags;
- manual windows;
- fixed rear window;
- radio prep;
- ABS with EBD and Brake Assist
Moving one up, the SE gains a Bluetooth and USB enabled sound system, fabric instead of PVC seats, as well as:
- electric windows;
- remote central locking;
- multi-function steering wheel;
- side plus a driver’s knee airbag;
- Hill Start Assist;
- electronic rear diff-lock;
- Vehicle Dynamic Control;
- Trailer Stability Assist
- Hill Descent Control on the 4×4
At the range’s sharp-end, the LE receives front fog lamps, an eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus the following:
- reverse camera;
- cruise control;
- rear parking sensors;
- folding electric mirrors on the 4×4
A total of six colours are offered; white, silver, red, Techno Grey, Infinite Black and Forged Copper.
Standard on all models is a six year/150 000 km warranty as well as a six year/90 000 km service plan.
- Navara 2.5 XE – R316 700
- Navara 2.5 dCi XE – R355 700
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE – R430 700
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE 4×4 – R496 700
- Navara 2.5 dCi LE – R461 700
- Navara 2.5 dCi LE 4×4 – R534 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE – R479 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE 4×4 – R558 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE AT – R504 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE Plus – R514 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE Plus 4×4 – R587 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi SE Plus AT – R534 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi LE AT – R611 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi LE 4×4 – R668 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi LE 4×4 AT – R682 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi Pro-2X AT – R699 000
- Navara 2.5 dCi Pro-4X AT – R749 000