Vhahangwele Nemakonde
Digital Journalist
2 minute read
24 Aug 2021
6:53 pm

Malema ready for SANDF battle – ‘Try me, bloody fools’

Vhahangwele Nemakonde

EFF deputy president Floyd Shivambu also hit back at the SANDF and said there was nothing to prosecute because issues with meal allowances were there.

Picture File: EFF leader Julius Malema speaks at a press conference at the party’s headquarters in Braamfontein on 10 June 2021. Picture: Michel Bega

Economic Freedom Fighters leader Julius Malema has hit back at the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) following a statement calling him out for spreading “fake news”.

The SANDF on Monday denied claims by Malema that deployed soldiers were threatening to withdraw from Operation Prosper, labelling them as “baseless insinuations aimed at causing panic”.

This after Malema on Sunday shared a screenshot of a message purporting to be from a soldier who was complaining about not receiving meal allowances.

It reads: “Afternoon Mr Malema, please help us, we are soldiers deployed in KwaZulu-Natal. We are suffering from the SANDF. There is no food for us, since last week we are buying food for us from our own salary. [The] army [has not] provided [food] us since last week. They promise[d] us meal allowance, [but] even now [there is] no meal allowance. Please help us, you are our last hope. If we ask them, they victimised us. Please sir, help us. I cannot name myself, but I’m a concerned soldier.”

Although the message itself said nothing about soldiers threatening to withdraw, Malema tweeted: “The army is threatening to withdraw!”

While the SANDF, in a statement, admitted that there had been issues with meal allowances – which have since been attended to – it also called out social media posts alleging the soldiers were threatening to abandon their operation over the issues.

“The SANDF dismisses with contempt and scoffs at the baseless insinuations aimed at causing panic in the country. Perpetrators of these insinuations are reminded that it is an illegal and a prosecutable offence to spread fake news or misinformation,” said Brigadier General Mafi Mgobozi.

In response, the EFF leader told the SANDF to “bring it on”.

“Rubbish, try me bloody fools. Bring it on, I’m not scared of rubbish,” he tweeted in response.

EFF deputy president Floyd Shivambu also hit back at the SANDF and said there was nothing to prosecute because issues with meal allowances were there.

“Unfortunately you can’t prosecute anyone because now one spread fake news or misinformation about you. The reality and indisputable fact is that you can’t feed your soldiers and ground forces. What kind of a so called army are who can’t give food to soldiers? Disgrace!”

The EFF leader is expected to address a media briefing on Wednesday.