Avatar photo

By Faizel Patel

Senior Digital Journalist

Taxi strike: Santaco launches interdict to release impounded taxis

At least five people have been killed in the deadly taxi strike by minibus taxi drivers which began on 3 August 2023.

Commuters in Cape Town are waking up to no transport again as the taxi strike continues into its eighth consecutive day.

The South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) said it will be launching an urgent court interdict to have their impounded vehicles released.

Thousands of commuters have been left stranded since the deadly strike began a week ago.

The taxi industry is disgruntled by the impounding of at least 6 000 taxis in claimed attempt at enforcing traffic bylaws.

The strike has led to road closures and chaos in Cape Town.


Santaco General Secretary Elryno Saaiers said the taxi council held a brief meeting with the National Minister of Transport on 9 August 2023.

โ€œShe indicated she is currently engaged in discussions with the Western Cape Government via the office of Premier Alan Winde.

โ€œFurthermore, Santaco has engaged the services of lawyers to apply for an urgent interdict via courts for the release of all vehicles impounded and to interdict the City of Cape Town and the Department of Mobility from impounding any more vehicles until all matters have been resolved,โ€ Saaiers said.

Saaiers appealed to its members to be patient and allow the council to complete the process.

โ€œThe application will be lodged within 48 hours and we will therefore not operate until this process is completed.โ€

ALSO READ: Four more Golden Arrow buses torched, schools affected as Cape Town taxi strike continues

Deadly strike

At least five people have been killed in the deadly taxi strike by minibus taxi drivers which began on 3 August 2023.

Sporadic violence erupted in different parts of the city after police began impounding vehicles as angry protesters torched buses and cars, and pelted the police with stones.

Among the dead was a 40-year-old British national who was shot and killed on Thursday, Police Minister Bheki Cele said in a media briefing on Tuesday.

He also confirmed a police officer was among those who died.

Cele said 120 people had been arrested since the strikes began and police were aware of incidents of looting, stone-throwing, and arson.

Santaco distanced itself from the violence and said such acts were fuelled by protesters, not its members.

ALSO READ: Santaco wants to avoid sending taxi drivers into โ€˜lionโ€™s denโ€™ as Ramaphosa slams violent strike