A grade 12 learner from Motswedi Secondary School, near Zeerust, was suspended last week after allegedly assaulting a teacher on Thursday, 16 July.
According to Elias Malindi, North West (NW) Department of Education spokesperson, on the day of the incident, learners were assembled to be informed of the temporary closure of the school following a confirmed case of Covid-19 at the school.
“After the meeting some of the learners were unhappy about the decision to close the school and were seen arguing with and assaulting a teacher. One of the learners was seen headbutting the teacher whilst others were insulting him,” said Malindi.
Video footage was supposedly taken and went viral on social media platforms.
The NW MEC of Education, Mmaphefo Matsemela, condemns the actions by learners and is disappointed.
“In 2018 an educator was stabbed to death by a learner in the same sub-district and we cannot allow such a deplorable behaviour to resurface in our schools.
“Teachers are parents to learners while they are in school and no child will be allowed to raise a hand towards them,” said MEC Matsemela.
She has instructed Departmental officials to ensure that a disciplinary hearing against the learners is carried out as soon as possible.
Malindi says the disciplinary hearing is expected to take place this week once the school has been decontaminated and disinfected.



