Sibongiseni Gumbi
Football Writer
2 minute read
24 Jul 2019
1:16 pm

Billiat and Castro are staying at Chiefs – Middendorp

Sibongiseni Gumbi

There have been rumours that North African teams have made enquiries about the duo.

Khama Billiat and Leonardo Castro of Kaizer Chiefs are challenged by Ricardo Nascimento and Tiyani Mabunda of Mamelodi Sundowns during the Absa Premiership match between Kaizer Chiefs and Mamelodi Sundowns at FNB Stadium. (Photo by Lefty Shivambu/Gallo Images)

Kaizer Chiefs coach Ernst Middendorp has confirmed that Amakhosi will not part with one of their highly prized players, Khama Billiat and that Leonardo Castro is also part of his plans for the new season.

There have been rumours that North African teams have made enquiries about the duo.

Middendorp, however, admitted that at some point he had believed that Castro would leave the team. But the Colombian is staying put and according to Middendorp, is doing well and willing to fight for his place at Amakhosi.

READ: Chiefs have been chasing me for some time – Baccus

“The players registration is still going on. Castro is coming back into the side. He can be a good pairing with another player from what we have seen so far. They are giving us good options and a decision will be done at the right time.

“We have six foreigners; it was the same when we started the preseason. But it looked like Castro was going and we thought we had to look for options. But it happened in a different way. And he is a full member here and it looks like we have to go with him as part of the five we will register.

“Castro has had a good preseason so far and nothing is going on. There is a lot of talk on the outside. I am very happy with Castro and how he took this preseason and how he contributed into it. There is nothing there. We are not going into the market to sell any players,” said Middendorp on Wednesday morning.

READ: New Chiefs jersey leaves fans dizzy

This meanwhile leaves Amakhosi with a conundrum as they currently have six foreign players in their team but can only register five for the upcoming season.

Middendorp could not be drawn to say who will be released but indications are that Madagascan, Aro “Dux” Adrianarimanana could be the one sacrificed.

Rumours are suggesting that Dux could be loaned out so he can get some game time elsewhere. He was part of the Madagascar team who did well at Caf African Cup of Nations in Egypt but didn’t play.

On Billiat, Middendorp said: “I was never confronted with any offer… there is no way to give the go ahead from the technical team to release players like Khama Billiat and other players. We are in front of a season and we have put a lot of thinking, a lot of strategy and there is no way to move into a direction to say Khama can go because the money is coming in. No, at the moment that is very clear.”

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.