Avatar photo

By Sibongiseni Gumbi

Football Writer

Chiefs torn apart and shamed as AmaZulu benefit from shaky defence

This was Chiefs' second defeat in a row following their loss to Sekhukhune United.

Defence is now a crisis that Arthur Zwane will have to take seriously and address immediately if he is to keep his job as Kaizer Chiefs coach.

ALSO READ: Orlando Pirates coach Riveiro not giving up on title race

Zwane’s side were again found wanting at the back when they were thrashed 4-0 by AmaZulu FC in a DStv Premiership match at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban on Friday night.

Chiefs looked to have started the game well, dominating attacking play in the early stages of the game.

In fact, the Naturena side looked like they would be first to score with Nkosingiphile Ngcobo and Mduduzi Shabalala giving Usuthu defence some scary moments.

Things however changed, and went south for Amakhosi in the 12th minute when former attacker Dumisani Zuma found the opener for AmaZulu – his first goal in the colours of Usuthu.

Chiefs however continued their attacking forays, now looking for an equaliser and they got an opportunity when they were awarded a penalty in the 15th minute.

This was after Abubaker Mobara – who had been the road block stopping every Chiefs move – brought Ashley Du Preez down inside his own box.

Caleb Bimenyimana was trusted with the resultant spot kick. But his effort was tame and Veli Motha easily saved it.

And a combination of former Chiefs players, George Maluleka and Ramahlwe Mphahlele ended with the latter heading home to give Usuthu some breathing space in the 36th minute.

Maluleka took the corner and Mphahlele rose unmarked as Chiefs’ defensive frailties once again reared its ugly head for everyone to marvel.

And a minute to the end of the half, Chiefs coach Arthur Zwane was left stone-faced when another defensive blunder gifted Dion Jr a chance to make it 3-0 for the home side.

Zwane rang some changes in the second half trying to get back into the game. But despite dominating the attacking play, Chiefs could not find a way past Usuthu defence and Mothwa.

Second half substitute, Bongi Ntuli made put the final nail in Chiefs’ coffin with the fourth goal a minute into time added on.

He also easily found his way through the Chiefs defence. A fifth was also a possibility as Usuthu went for more in the final stages.

This was Chiefs’ second defeat in a row – making it two without a win in the new year.

This result obviously puts Zwane under sizable pressure with supporters making their unhappiness with the team’s progress known.