Avatar photo

By Katlego Modiba

Football Journalist

Hunt slams ‘disgraceful’ officiating after draw against City

Hunt was livid with his side's failure to close the game and the officiating after Ighodaro's last minute goal was also ruled out for offside.

SuperSport United coach Gavin Hunt was once again left incensed with officiating following the 1-1 draw against Polokwane City in a DStv Premiership match at the Old Peter Mokaba on Wednesday, labelling it a “disgrace”.

ALSO READ: ‘Calmer’ Chiefs have Johnson hoping it is coming together

Substitute Etiosa Ighodaro looked to have snatched all three points for Matsatsantsa a Pitori with 12 minutes left on the clock but Tholo Matuludi rescued a point from the jaws of defeat for Rise and Shine.

A win for United would have moved them to the top of the league standings and above their Tshwane neighbours Mamelodi Sundowns who are occupied by African Football League (AFL) commitments.

As expected Hunt was livid with his side’s failure to close the game and the officiating after Ighodaro’s last minute goal was also ruled out for offside.

“We should have won this game. It’s a disgrace, this is actually embarrassing what went on here,” he said.

“But anyways I’m proud of the players but what can you do? We have to blame ourselves a little bit because we missed chances but it wasn’t a free kick that led to their goal.”

SuperSport are on 23 points after 11 games, one behind Sundowns who have three games in hand due to their participation in the AFL.

“We don’t worry about that, we’ve got a small squad and we do the best we can,” Hunt said about the missed opportunity of going top of the league standings.

“That’s all we can do by taking one game at a time. We’re fine, we haven’t played a home game yet but we’re fine and we’re doing the best we can.”

ALSO READ: Arthur Mafokate calls for swift overseas move for Baartman

The Tshwane-based side can still leapfrog the Brazilians into first place with a win against Sekhukhune United on Sunday.

Sundowns will be playing Wydad Casablanca of Morocco in the second leg of the AFL final at Loftus Versfeld on the same day.

Access premium news and stories

Access to the top content, vouchers and other member only benefits