TCM accused of misleading public
Just a mere two weeks ago the former municipal manager, Mr Surprise Maebela, in a statement blatantly told the paper that: "The Thaba Chweu municipality is in continuous engagement with Eskom regarding the debt; the municipality was placed under administration twice and during that period it was not generating sufficient income, which caused the debt to escalate. Eskom is better placed to respond on the cut-off. TCM will not speak on its behalf."
LYDENBURG – It would seem that Thaba Chweu Municipality was utterly deceitful in their response with regards to their discussion with Eskom.
For weeks, since a notice was served to TCM stating that the whole municipal region will face the discontinuation of electricity supply, this municipality has been telling a half-truth which was in fact a complete lie.
Steelburger/Lydenburg News spoke to Eskom spokesman Mr Khulu Phasiwe, who confirmed that TCM has never been in discussion with them with regard to the payment of the more than R146 million owed to the utility for services rendered. “The municipality has not communicated with us at all, and so far no payments have been made.”
A meeting took place on Wednesday between the parties to find a possible solution for the planned cut-off. “From our side there has been no change. We have received no payment and no money from the customer. Just like any other company, we (Eskom) have to pay for certain items like the coal being used to generate the electricity.”
He also said that with like any other account, if you cannot make your monthly payment, the debtor (TCM) should have at least made an effort to communicate with the creditor to find a possible solution for down payment.
Just a mere two weeks ago the former municipal manager, Mr Surprise Maebela, in a statement blatantly told the paper that: “The Thaba Chweu municipality is in continuous engagement with Eskom regarding the debt; the municipality was placed under administration twice and during that period it was not generating sufficient income, which caused the debt to escalate.
Eskom is better placed to respond on the cut-off. TCM will not speak on its behalf.”
It would now indeed seem that Eskom is better placed to respond as Phasiwe disclosed the non-communication from TCM. “Our doors were always open to them. Eskom does not enjoy cutting off any town or municipality but we have been left with no choice.
We will, however, see what the outcome will be with regard to the meeting this afternoon.”
Clllr Farhad Essack of the DA was shocked and dismayed at the ignorance of TCM’s leadership and officials who continuously display their arrogance and continue misleading the entire community of TCM. He further commented that councillors were informed that the Eskom crisis has been resolved through interaction with province and the task team will then continue to find solutions and make recommendations as to how this debt will further be serviced. “This scenario further confirms that TCM’s political leadership and the ANC cadre deployment have failed the people of TCM.” FF+ leader, Mr Frik Rousseau said, “It is tragic that TCM could not be straightforward with the residents of TCM. We are not incompetent and also receive information from higher sources.”
After the meeting, AfriForum’s Lydenburg Branch, with the assistance of its legal team in Pretoria, brought an urgent court application before the North Gauteng High Court against the proposed disconnection of electricity supply late Tuesday afternoon.
