
MBOMBELA – Four suspects have been arrested in connection with the brutal killing of an orphaned sub-adult rhino bull named Sabi.
The accused appeared in the Nelspruit District Court today. Mr Thokozane Jabulane Ngwenya (28), Mr Kenneth Alex Mthombothi (37), Mr Promise Mandla Lamula (30) and Mr Mthobisi Lenox Ngwenyama (27) are accused on various charges relating to rhino poaching.
Their bail application was remanded until September 1. All of the accused remained in custody.
A joint operation including members of the MTPA, Tactical Response Team of the SAPS Nelspruit, SANParks, K9 Conservation and Organised crime Middleburg led to the successful arrest of the suspects on August 19.
A source told Lowvelder the operation took the team working twenty four hours, non-stop until they had captured each accused.
Sabi was shot in his boma at Care For Wild – Africa on August 7. He had his horn trimmed to a stump previously but yet he was shot and killed. According to Care For Wild – Africa Founder Ms Petronella Niewoudt felt that they had still killed Sabi for his stump and his front legs.
“They crudely butchered these parts from his lifeless body with a saw.”
She stated that within hours of the attack, the one suspect had been identifies and within 11 days the remaining suspects were arrested.
“The weapon used to murder Sabi was found in one of the suspect’s houses.” She said the saw was also found by the dogs of the K9 Conservation Anti-poaching Unit, along with other evidence.
