Shot Brondal farmer fights for his life
His wife reacted instinctively and fell to the ground, pretending to have been shot also. "The suspects picked up and dropped their arms to see if they were really lifeless," Terblanche said.
BRONDAL – A farmer is fighting for his life in Mediclinic Nelspruit after he was shot during a farm attack early on Saturday. Thinking that he and his wife had died, the suspects continued to ransack their house before fleeing with firearms.
Mr Koos Kruger was rushed to hospital after he had been shot twice. He lost a large amount of blood and had to undergo surgery. At the time of going to print, his condition was described as critical.
According to Mr Shaun Terblanche, operational manager of J&M Security, Kruger and his wife, Lee, were sleeping in the master bedroom when six men entered their premises in the Rosehaugh area at about 03:00. He awoke to find four men, one armed with a revolver, next to his bed.
The other two were standing guard outside.
According to Terblanche, a heated exchange of words took place between him and the suspects, after which one assailant shot him in the chest and arm.
His wife reacted instinctively and fell to the ground, pretending to have been shot also. “The suspects picked up and dropped their arms to see if they were really lifeless,” Terblanche said.
“When they were satisfied, they moved through the rest of the house, looking for the safe.” Their daughter (14), was also at home and hid after hearing the gunshots.
“Lee later got up and tried to make a run for it when one of the suspects caught her in the act. She turned around and darted out of the house, with two of the attackers on her heels. “Once outside, they tackled her on the grass and assaulted her.” Two others joined the four inside the house to help loot four of Koos’ firearms and an undisclosed amount of money.
“They had severed the electric fence through which they also made their escape. We believe that they also entered the premises that way,” Terblanche said.
Lee went to the houses of farm workers on the premises and used one of their phones to call for help. J&M was the first to respond.
Officials saw that Kruger was badly wounded and summoned Hi-Tech Medical Services, Mpumalanga Emergency Medical Services, Netcare 911 and the police.
Mr Jacques Ainslie of Hi-Tech Medical Services, said Kruger had lost a lot of blood. “If we got to him an hour later, he would have been dead.”
Terblanche later added that, upon surgery, doctors found that one bullet had pierced his lung, causing him to bleed internally. He was stabilised upon arrival at Mediclinic, however, after his surgery on Saturday afternoon, his condition worsened.
Ms Yulindi Kruger, a family member, upon enquiry said that Kruger would return to theatre late yesterday afternoon.
His heart had apparently also been penetrated by a bullet.
Capt HJ Moshiwane, head of Sabie’s detectives branch, upon enquiry said that police were investigating cases of attempted murder and house robbery. No arrests have been made as yet.
An update on Kruger’s condition will soon follow.
You might also be interested in:
Kiepersol farm attack: case of robbery under investigation
