Local newsMunicipalNewsNewsSchools

Samancor hands over new hall to secondary school

"The learners are part of our neigh-bouring communities, it's vital to invest in them as they are the future mine managers and engineers at ECM. We wish to see them excel in education and hold managerial positions," he said.

DRIEKOP – Dignitaries from all walks of life descended on Sehlaku Secondary School when Samancor Eastern Chrome Mine (ECM) officially handed over the hall it had built for the school. The prestigious event was held on June 23.

When handing over the hall, the chief executive officer of ECM, Mr Jürgen Schalamon, said it was his company’s main priority to give back to the communities it operated in. Schalamon reiterated that his mine wanted to invest in education.

“The learners are part of our neigh-bouring communities, it’s vital to invest in them as they are the future mine managers and engineers at ECM. We wish to see them excel in education and hold managerial positions,” he said.

Mr Pieter Brits, Samancor’s human resource manager, told the crowd that the gigantic hall was one of the best in Limpopo. He also said the best material had been utilised and therefore the hall was going to benefit the locals for future generations.

Limpopo MEC for education,

Mr Ishmael Kgetjepe thanked the mine for its generosity and its continuous support of local schools.

Kgetjepe encouraged the Sehlaku learners to improve their results as they now had better facilities.

The hall is equipped with air condi-tioners, plasma screens and sound and can accommodate about 1 000 people. Previously the mine had erected a school laboratory, mechanical-engineering workshop and three additional classrooms. ECM had also built new classrooms at Mangabane, Sekabate and Madibeng primary schools.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Lowvelder in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button