Mabuza remains ANC number one
"I can say there is stability in the party, I salute all the branches for the order being shown in the conference."
MBOMBELA – The provincial ANC elected its leadership with chairman, Mr David Mabuza, retaining his position, on Saturday.
Mabuza was re-elected unopposed during the party’s 12th provincial congress that took place at Mbombela Stadium this weekend. Delegates at the venue sang pro-Mabuza songs in a show of support for the chairman.
Former deputy secretary, Ms Violet Siwela, was elected deputy chairman. She replaced Mr David Dube as the provincial second in command of the party.
Earlier last week, former secretary, Mr Lucky Ndinisa, told journalists during a media briefing that the top five of the party had taken a resolution not to contest one another at the conference. He also said if branches wanted to nominate members, the congress would have allowed them to.
Ndinisa lost his position to Mr Mandla Ndlovu of the Bohlabela region, who will serve on the provincial executive committee. Ndinisa graciously lifted Ndlovu’s hand after the election. The other top five of the party are Mr Vusi Shongwe (treasurer) and Ms Lindiwe Ntshalintshali (deputy secretary).
Shongwe is the incumbent MEC for community safety, security and liaison. He also serves as branch chair for the Gert Sibande region, which is the stronghold of the party with the most branches. He acted as premier during the period Mabuza was on sick leave.
Ntshalintshali is the current mayor of eMalahleni Local Municipality. Prior to voting, Mabuza addressed the delegates on the party’s political report. He said the party had endured growth after going through a stormy period in the past.
“I can say there is stability in the party, I salute all the branches for the order being shown in the conference,” said Mabuza.
He mentioned that the province had initiated an industrial-developmental plan to develop an integrated and diversified industrial base. This, he said, would distribute development investments over a range of industries.
“Our most immediate concern is how to deal with the high unemployment rate among the youth in this province. The unemployed youth made up 71,2 per cent of the total unemployed people at the end of the third quarter this year,” said Mabuza.
During a post-election media briefing, Mabuza thanked party members for their support during the time he had been sick. He also called on all those who were not elected to accept the outcome of the conference.
“We will continue to work with those who served in the party’s top five and provincial executive committee to provide service to those we serve,” Mabuza said.
The ANC Youth League called for 40 per cent representation in the provincial government. Members of the league sang struggle songs during the conference while holding up four fingers.
The league’s deputy president, Mr Desmond Moela, in his speech at the congress stated the league’s ambition to fill positions in the provincial government.
Moela called the ANC to consider the youth for mayoral and MEC positions. He also said there was a need to purge lazy government officials to make a way for fresh minds. “If the premier, DD Mabuza, wakes up tomorrow and decides to reshuffle his cabinet, no one should complain,” said Moela.







