VIDEO: “We only wanted a glass of water, we did not kill her”
Shaun Oosthuizen (38), Maryna Mandy Vorster (48) and John du Plooy (26) appeared in the Nelspruit District Court for a bail application in the Hetta Potgieter trial on Monday morning.

MBOMBELA – The three people accused of killing Hetta Potgieter (85) admitted in court yesterday that they were at her home on the day of her death. However, they denied killing her.
They are charged with murder and house robbery.
Potgieter was killed on July 1 in her flat at Macadamia Care Centre.
Her body was discovered the following morning on the bathroom floor. She had been suffocated and her hands were tied behind her back.
Police spokesman and investigating officer, Lt Col Erhard Stroh, said the coroner on the scene determined the cause of death was suffocation.
According to the charge sheet, R10 000 cash – which Potgieter had to pay her accounts – and a house key were stolen.
Du Plooy, Oosthuizen and Vorster were arrested after an intensive week-long investigation by police and Bossies Community Justice.
Security cameras recorded the three entering the centre at 12:07.
In a statement read by Oosthuizen’s defence in court yesterday, he admitted that they had been at Potgieter’s house on the day of the murder and robbery.
He said they had only requested a glass of water and to use the bathroom, and left her safe and sound.
They also alleged that Stroh had assaulted them when they were arrested. He claimed Stroh and his men had pulled Vorster’s hair and assaulted her. He also stated that they had been sexually assaulted while in the holding cells.


